Thursday, July 11, 2013

Archives, Art and Air

This is Wednesday's entry.  I guess I was so tired I failed to publish it until Thursday.  Sorry!
 
Easy trip into DC, now that I’ve done it once already.  Made my way to the National Archives first, to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  The museum is more than that, though;  it shows how records are kept and there are displays of fascinating original records including Abraham Lincoln’s telegrams to his generals.  In order to actually access the archives, though, it is necessary to enter through another door.  I did not have any of my genealogical records with me (too heavy to schlep around), but I decided to see if I could find documentation of my adoptive father’s military service in WWI.  In order to search anything in the archives, one must have a Research Card.  So I filled out some forms, handed over my ID, had my picture taken and was the proud owner of my very own Research Card.  After telling the staff the nature of my quest I was informed those records are kept in St. Louis, Missouri.  Yetch!  But the card is good for a year, so if I am so inclined I can return and look for other things.

A few blocks away is the National Museum of Art.  I spent a great deal of time with the Old Masters and wandered through other galleries discovering artists both familiar and new to me.  I especially enjoyed the Degas bronze collection.

Down the street is the Air and Space Museum.  They say this is the most visited museum in the world.  The history of flight is documented from the Wright Brothers to the conquest of space.  I attended a movie about the formation of stars and don’t think I missed a single exhibit.  I enjoyed the history of spy planes and looked closely at the Spirit of St. Louis, the subject of one of my favorite movies.

I had originally intended to visit the Smithsonian Castle, but it was nearly dinner time and I needed to return to the campsite.  The castle will be first on tomorrow’s itinerary, to be followed by monuments, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment