Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gettysburg Day 2

Busy day at the Gettysburg National Military Park.  It was rainy in the morning when I took the free shuttle to attend the park ranger's Spangler's Spring program where I learned that the battle for Culp's Hill continued from the day before (at Spangler's Spring), and Confederate General Ewell's troops launched repeated attacks on the Union troops of the 12th Corps. 

Back at the visitor center, in a tent on the grounds, I heard a talk about how Civil War soldiers were equipped, what made up their rations, and what their daily lives were like.  This was similar, but not as extensive as, the talk I heard at the Museum of the Confederacy in Appomattox.  Next there was a 30-minute overview of the battle presented by a park ranger in a nice cool theater inside the visitor center.

But the comfortable temperatures were to be only temporary.  The rain had stopped and now it was humid.  There was a reenactment of  Pickett's Charge at Cemetery Ridge located about a 20-minute walk from the visitor center, mostly uphill.  By the time we arrived I felt I had assaulted the ridge myself!  The reenactment was historically accurate, and it ended with a playing of Echo Taps.  I found myself quite emotional, realizing how many lost their lives 150 years ago today.



More reenactments tomorrow.  Early to bed for this little rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment