Friday, July 12, 2013

Stick a Fork in Me

I'm done!  Done playing tourist in DC, that is.  I've seen every site I wanted to, plus many more.  Today was gloomy and rainy so things went at a slower pace.  I revisited the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial and proceeded to the Washington Monument which is closed due to earthquake and hurricane damage.  The road to Arlington Cemetery was closed due to a traffic problem relating to a gathering close by.  But I visited the National Cathedral and was awed by the architecture.  It, too, sustained damage in the earthquake of 2011 and a few of its gargoyles are now housed inside after being toppled by the quake.  Here is a picture of one of the interior walls, still damaged:




And here is part of the inside of the cathedral:
Since it was gloomy outside, I could not get a good picture of the rose window.


Starting tomorrow I will be on my way home, but it will take a few weeks at least.  I plan to stop wherever something looks interesting and stay as long as it takes to satisfy my curiosity.  There will likely be days with no blog posts and other days with lots of news.



Thanks for sharing my journey with me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU for sharing your trip with me. It brought back many good memories. I look forward to reading about your new discoveries on your way home.

    ReplyDelete