Monday, July 15, 2013

Revolutionary Ideas



Today I visited the only two Revolutionary War National Military Parks:  Cowpens and Kings Mountain, both in South Carolina.  I was unaware of Cowpens until I saw the National Parks Service sign on the highway and decided to investigate.  The battle took place in January of 1781 when Continentals and militia from Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas won a decisive victory over the British.  It was after this battle that British Gen. Cornwallis abandoned South Carolina to the Patriots and marched north to his eventual surrender at Yorktown.  The visitor center had a film created by the History Channel in addition to the exhibits.

Kings Mountain was another matter.  I was familiar with this battle, as my 5th great-grandfather was involved in it.  Robert Bean fought under General Elijah Clarke with the Patriots in October of 1780 to decimate American Loyalists to “turn the tide” of the American Revolution, according to Thomas Jefferson.  Yes, it was a battle of Americans against Americans.  No British were involved.  The visitor center here had a full 30-minute History Channel film about the battle and the exhibits were the best I’ve seen yet on my trip.  I left feeling very proud of my ancestor.

No comments:

Post a Comment